Meditation and Compassion in Our Daily Life:
Tibetan Buddhism in Action
A weekly programme held on Tuesday nights throughout the year.
Open to those who are new as well as those who have done previous studies at Rigpa.
Our next module starts 18th July 2017
The next topic is Turning Suffering and Happiness into Enlightenment
In a world where we often experience frustration or dissatisfaction, it is possible to consciously cultivate positive states of mind and diminish negative states of mind. In so doing, we can transform our experience and our reactions to life’s circumstances and the people around us. Through this approach, it is possible to change our lives and bring about change in the world. It means that we are not powerless in the face of our circumstances.
The Art of Compassionate Living module introduces a complete picture of what compassion is and why it might be beneficial to ourselves and the world around us.
The course will give you the tools to:
▪ Gain awareness and knowledge about compassion from the viewpoints of modern science and of Buddhism
▪ Deepen and actualise this knowledge and understanding through your own personal analysis and reflection
▪ Familiarise yourself with the experience of compassion through formal meditation/compassion practices
▪ Explore how to integrate compassion practices into everyday life.
Throughout the year, Meditation and Compassion in Our Daily Life modules introduce:
- The foundation of the wisdom teachings of Buddha which include impermanence and how it affects us along with the principles of interdependence and emptiness. Understanding these can be a powerful guide in finding happiness in our daily lives.
- Methods to work with our heart and mind, starting from wherever we find ourselves now, to discover our own potential for love and compassion.
- Authentic meditation techniques are woven throughout the modules, developing our experience of peace and clarity of mind including the rich and rewarding compassion practices of loving kindness and the four immeasurables; simple practices that help others.
Wisdom and compassion are considered as being inseparable in Buddhism and it is how we work with these in our daily lives that provides the proof of the truth of Buddha’s timeless teachings. Throughout this programme, we will explore the ancient teachings of this unbroken lineage, experiencing their wisdom directly through the application of authentic methods that help us to develop confidence, capacity and compassion in the way we are – with ourselves and with others – in our daily lives.
This programme is for everyone – new or experienced.
If you have not studied at Rigpa before, it is recommended you complete our one day meditation workshop in order to build a basic foundation for deepening your understanding and practice.
Module 1 – The Art of Compassionate Living – begins Tuesday, 21 February from 7 – 9pm for 8 weeks to April 11th.
Module 2 – Heart Advice for Meditation: Mengak Study Pack – begins Tuesday, May 2nd.
Module 3 – Turning Suffering and Happiness into Enlightenment – begins Tuesday, July 18
Optional meditation and reflection practice beforehand from 6pm to 7pm